|“Turbo Rascal Syntax error, “;” expected but “BEGIN” (Turbo Rascal SE, TRSE) is a complete suite (IDE, compiler, programming language, image sprite level resource editor) intended for developing games/demos for the Commodore 64. With the benefits of a modern IDE (error messages, code completion, syntax highlightning etc) and a bunch of fast built-in tools, it has never been easier to program for the Commodore 64.
Development begain on feb 24th 2018, non-alpha release expected before summer 2018.
Resources (current version: 0.009 Alpha)
Note: The TRSE reference list is from now on included in the Help (F1) dialogue of the TRSE IDE.
What is Turbo Rascal Syntax error, “;” expected but “BEGIN”?
In a nutshell, Turbo Rascal Syntax error, “;” expected but “BEGIN” is a complete suite for developing for the Commodore 64. It is written in Qt C++, and runs as a stand-alone application that contains various tools for developing and deploying projects for the MOS6502♥ processor. The TRSE suite includes the following stuff:
- A semi-fully functional Pascal-like compiler that compiles to DASM assembler files.
- A substantial amount of handy built-in assembler functions optimized for easy-to-use and fast C64 operations (typically memory operations, zero paging, copying, sprite handling, IRQs)
- RasLib, the Turbo Rascal C64 library (Level rendering, scrolling, high-level stuff)
- Multicolor/hires image editor with image importer
- Document-style editor for images and source files with syntax highlighting and code completion.
- Character editor
- Sprite editor
- Cycle counter per line, displayed in the editor
- Level editor
The author had a C64 as a kid, but never got the hang of understand proper programming until the x86-era of the 90’s. This is his way of mending the hole in is soul. In addition, he hopes that he’ll get filthy rich & famous off this project.
Free of charge. How the “rich” part will be achieved is still up for debate.